Beginning and advanced writers will learn how to conduct historical research, create an accurate historical setting, and apply the basic crafts of character development and storytelling to an historical novel. Writers will be able to take their historical novel-in-progress to the next level by strengthening their research and craft skills.
Writing Historical Fiction will focus on:
- The importance of verisimilitude
- Conducting primary and secondary historical research
- Creating compelling, fully realized and historically accurate characters
- Challenges of including real figures in a historical novel
- Researching and writing exercises
Writers will be asked to read and react to three brief extracts from historical novels before arriving for the workshops, which will be provided via e-mail. Writers will also have the opportunity to attend varied events in the arts community of New Harmony and will also be reading at the Arts in Harmony Festival on Saturday, June 1st.